- Redding firefighters will take a pay cut to prevent the closure of a fire station and the layoff and demotion of firefighters. The concession will represent approximately a 12.4 percent pay cut for 71 firefighters in the department, according to the Redding Searchlight newspaper.
City Manager Kurt Starman said the cuts are substantial but will ensure the station stays open for the next year.
- The Lodi City Council begins each of its weekly meetings with a prayer. But in May that tradition became controversial, when the Freedom from Religion Foundation made the claim to stop those prayers.
On Wednesday night, the Lodi City Council addressed the issue when it voted unanimously to continue prayer prior to meetings. The Council developed a policy allowing uncensored invocations that avoid favoring any religion
Now the city is facing a possible lawsuit. Annie Gaylor, co-founder of the Freedom from Religion Foundation, says the group will monitor invocations and threatens to sue the city.
- A soap opera like saga continues at Taft City Hall. The Taft Independent of West Kern County, wrote an interesting editorial that is worth a read.
- Santa Paula’s open City Manager position is getting some good attention, as 75 candidates have applied for the job. But Santa Paula’s Interim City Manager, Cliff Finley, is in the running too following an endorsement from former Mayor Ray Luna. Former City Manager Wally Bobkiewicz departed for a gig in Illinois.
- Speaking of openings, the city of Lakeport has posted its City Manager position on the PublicCEO Jobs Board.
The city council is seeking a progressive and professional City Manager with a demonstrated track record of providing steady leadership during challenging times, and a proven ability to cultivate strong working relationships with all stakeholders.
- The Los Angeles Water Department Chief stepped down in Los Angeles and will take a position with the Clinton Climate Initiative. All this following recent criticism over water main breaks, planned rate hikes and his defense of conservation programs.