Reporter Cara Santa Maria looks at how police departments across Ventura County have implemented comprehensive crisis intervention training for all officers. Recent fatal cases of police confrontations with the mentally ill have highlighted the need for better officer training. With the goal of having all officers “CIT trained,” Cara Santa Maria profiles the program and the officers who have implemented one of the most comprehensive programs in the county.
Reporter Cara Santa Maria also rides along with an officer on patrol with the Ventura Police Department, and attends a training to see how law enforcement have learned to effectively diffuse situation.
Featuring Interviews With:
- Ratan Bhavnani, executive director, National Alliance on Mental Illness Ventura County
- Detective James Espinoza, Ventura Police Department
- Commander Mark Stadler, Ventura Police Department
- Kiran Sahota, Ventura County Behavioral Health, MHSA program manager
- Chief Ken Corney, Ventura Police Department