Can an urban farm make a difference in a community labeled a food desert? “SoCal Connected” goes to South El Monte whereEarthworks, an urban farm, is changing the diets of families and children. Reporter Cara Santa Maria profiles the Morales family who has found that being a member of Earthworks is a way to return to their roots.
Featuring Interviews With:
- Ofelia Aguilar, director, Akitoi Learning Center
- Claudia Morales, mental health therapist
- Polo Morales, political director, Coalition of Humane Immigrant Rights of L.A.
- Clare Fox, director of Policy and Innovation, L.A. Food Policy Council
- Marianne Zaugg, development director, SGVCC Earthworks Farm
- Teresa Wong, farm-to-table coordinator, SGVCC Earthworks Farm
- Pre-school students: Renay, Julianna, Natalia, Lilah
- Mario Espinoza, parent