In accordance with guidance from the County of Los Angeles, the City of Rancho Palos Verdes will reopen beaches, parks and trails, including the Palos Verdes Nature Preserve, this Wednesday, May 13, with physical distancing required.
The City encourages residents to participate in recreational outdoor activity in their neighborhoods. If you visit these areas, please do so responsibly, be mindful of your interactions and wear a face covering. All visitors MUST practice physical distancing, staying 6 feet away from others not in their household. Face coverings are mandatory at beaches when out of the water and around others. Face coverings are required at trailheads, parking areas, and on any trails where there are other groups of people nearby. Children under age 2 and anyone who has trouble breathing should not wear face coverings.
City Staff, Park Rangers and law enforcement are monitoring these areas to ensure compliance with public health directives, and parking restrictions will be enforced. Pursuant to the City Council’s March 17 local emergency proclamation, the City may close these areas if rules are not observed by the public and conditions become unsafe.
Please note that some trails may remain closed, and some trails may have designated directions of travel to encourage physical distancing. Please check trails.rpvca.gov for up-to-date information on temporary trail closures and trail circulation plans. All park programming remains canceled until further notice. This includes all recreational activities, indoor and outdoor sports leagues, instructional courses, and group sessions/private events.
The Eastview Dog Park and the Rancho Caninos Dog Park will be open. The tennis court at Upper Point Vicente Park and the paddle tennis courts at Ladera Linda Park will be open. Both amenities will have restrictions to comply with physical distancing and safety.
Playgrounds, basketball courts, baseball and soccer fields, park buildings (exterior park restrooms will be open)
Trails Do’s and Don’ts
- Check the status of trails before you visit at trails.rpvca.gov
- Follow all Preserve rules, regulations and posted access restrictions.
- Stay at least six 6 feet from others who are not members of your household at all times.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Pack out all trash.
- Don’t use trails that you know are crowded.
- Don’t leave your home if you are sick with a fever or respiratory symptoms or are currently under isolation or quarantine.
- Don’t gather in groups or linger at any one location except as needed for brief rests.
- Don’t share food or water while out on the trails.