The Calabasas Open Small Business Grants Program will provide a one-time emergency grant, up to $10,000, to eligible Calabasas based small businesses to assist with COVID-19 reopening costs. The current approved appropriation amount is $500,000, or 50 grants if each small business receives the maximum amount.
The goal of the Program is to remove barriers to accessing capital for the City’s small businesses that were required to close, or partially close, as a result of the pandemic. Providing these much needed funds to the City’s small businesses allows stores to reopen as soon as possible, while also stimulating the local economy.
The Calabasas Open Small Business Grant Program requires a business grantee to:
- Operate out of a physical (brick and mortar) retail or restaurant storefront, open to the public, within the city limits of Calabasas
- Be established as a for-profit, small business with at least one, but no more than 100 employees
- Have been closed, or partially closed, under the County of Los Angeles Public Health Department Safer At Home Order
- Submit an accurate and complete Calabasas Open Small Business Grant Program Application
- Submit a current W9 Form
- Be in good standing with the City
- Been in operation in the City of Calabasas for at least one year as of March 1, 2020
Please Note: Sales tax and transit occupancy tax generating small businesses will be given priority. Publicly traded companies and corporate owned retail chains or franchises are not eligible. Applicants with multiple businesses at one address are not eligible for more than one grant.
Calabasas Open Small Business Grant Program Terms and Processes Below:
- The Calabasas Open Small Business Grant Program provides a one-time emergency grant of up to $10,000 to each eligible Calabasas based small businesses to assist with COVID-19 reopening costs.
- Businesses must submit an accurate and complete Calabasas Open Small Business Grant Application.
- Businesses must submit a current W9 Form.
- Applications will be reviewed for eligibility and completeness. If application is approved, applicant will receive a notice of grant award.
- Awards will be made on a first come, first served basis, with first come defined as the date and time the application is received by the City of Calabasas.
- If awarded, this application becomes a binding contract between the business owner(s) and the City of Calabasas.
- If denied, the determination is final and there is no appeals process.
- After application has been verified and approved, grant reimbursements are provided via check to the address provided on Page 2 of this application.
- Grant funds may be used to cover costs of business reopening, including: equipment, supplies, signage, and remodeling as required by the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health Safety Reopening Protocols. Program grant funds may also be used for advertising and promotional activities related to business reopening.
- Within 60 days of receiving grant award, the grantee must submit sufficient documentation verifying that reopening expenses were incurred in the manner and for the purposes stated in this application. Appropriate documentation includes receipts, invoices or credit card statements.
- The City reserves the right to audit the applicant’s books and records for compliance with the terms of this Agreement, and to seek to recover funds not used in accord with the terms of this Agreement.
Please direct any questions related to the Calabasas Open Grant Program to: CalabasasOpen@CityofCalabasas.com
Frequently Asked Questions (updated 6/6/20)
Calabasas Community View (verify your business address)
Calabasas Open Small Business Grant Program Application (coming soon)