The 2040 Alameda General Plan is a statement of community goals, objectives, policies, and actions to guide our island community in the challenges facing us today and in the future.
We’ve launched a new website at www.alameda2040.org that will allow residents to help shape Alameda’s General Plan and guide elements including neighborhood design, climate action, managed growth, transportation and mobility, public safety, environmental protection, equity, and preservation of the characteristics that make Alameda so unique.
“Life in 2020 is not what any of us expected, but as we all work through tremendous uncertainty, we have the opportunity to help shape the future,” remarked Andrew Thomas, Director of the Planning, Building, and Transportation Department at the City of Alameda. “We need to hear from as many of you as possible to help draft a General Plan that reflects the community’s vision for Alameda in 2040.”
The General Plan has not been updated in almost 30 years. We are excited to make this process open and accessible to anyone who wants to be involved and share ideas. Here how you can get involved:
- Check out our new website at www.alameda2040.org
- Take a survey online: www.alameda2040.org/surveys
- Attend a meeting virtually: We have four virtual community forums, please add to your calendar today!
- September 14, 7pm: Developing a healthy, equitable, and inclusive City
- October 12, 7pm: Preservation and enhancement of Alameda’s unique historic neighborhood character
- November 9, 7pm: Protecting the environment and responding to the climate crisis locally and regionally
- December 14, 7pm: Enhancing mobility, accessibility, and life on an island
- Join our mailing list or ask us a question: www.alameda2040.org/contact
Sarah Henry, Public Information Officer