To aid its local businesses, the City of La Verne launched a Business Assistance Grant Program in May to provide financial aid to struggling businesses to help them combat the economic setbacks brought about by COVID-19. The program still has the capacity to award up to 100 qualified businesses within its city limits with a $2,500 grant to help them re-open, create jobs, retain jobs and offer quality services to the residents of La Verne.
“Our businesses have always been an integral part of the La Verne community,” said Tim Hepburn, Mayor of La Verne. “We look forward to this program helping more of the local businesses that we all know and love reopen, recognizing the critical contributions they make to our community’s collective economic and overall well-being.”
If La Verne residents are familiar with any small businesses that are struggling with the impacts brought about by COVID-19 and associated health guidelines, they are encouraged to spread the word about this grant program. Grant funds may be used for overhead expenses, rent, utilities, business services such as web site development to increase capacity, necessary equipment to continue business operations and more.
Eligible La Verne businesses, including but not limited to retail establishments, restaurants and
professional services, will:
- Have a current business license in the City of La Verne
- Be physically located within La Verne city limits; please note that home-based businesses are not eligible to participate at this time
- Currently employ less than 15 employees, including the owner(s)
- Have been operational at least one (1) year prior to March 1, 2020
- Submit all completed required documents electronically to email@example.com
- Currently employ and retain at least one (1) low-and moderate-income (LMI) person or in the case of staff turnover, have the identified position filled by a LMI person and demonstrate that without grant assistance the job would be lost
- Have been determined non-essential and was forced to close or modify due to health orders set forth by the County of Los Angeles
Complete guidelines for the program, including information regarding business eligibility, eligible use of funds, ineligible use of funds, verification and documentation of eligibility, and selection process and monitoring can be found on the City’s website. The application can also be accessed and downloaded online. Applicants must fill out the form completely to be eligible for financial assistance.