The City of Carson is pleased to announce two new programs available for Carson business owners and/or property owners: (1) Small Business Grant Program, and (2) Commercial Façade Improvement Program. A maximum of $1 million is allocated for each program.
The City is now accepting applications from eligible applicants. Prospective applicants can prepare now by visiting the program webpage provided below to review requirements and gather required documents.
Small Business Grant Program
The City of Carson is offering a one-time grant to businesses in Carson who have been negatively impacted financially by the COVID-19 pandemic but have not yet received any type of COVID-19 related assistance from the City.
This Small Business Grant Program provides grants ranging from $5,000 to $25,000 to assist Carson small businesses. Funding is made possible from the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARPA). To qualify for this grant, businesses must meet the below criteria:
- Be physically located and have operated in Carson prior to March 15, 2020
- Have 50 employees or less
- Be able to demonstrate a decline in revenue due to COVID-19
- Cannot be a recipient from past City of Carson COVID-19 assistance programs
- Funds must be used for business-related items and other requirements may apply
- Once awarded, grants do not have to be repaid
Commercial Façade Improvement Program
The Commercial Façade Improvement Program provides Carson businesses and commercial property owners with matching grants to improve their storefronts and enhance the City’s major commercial corridors.
Under the Commercial Façade Improvement Program, commercial tenants and/or commercial property owners may qualify for a reimbursement grant of $2,500 to $25,000 for storefront aesthetic improvements. A dollar-for-dollar matching is required for amounts above $2,500. For owners of multi-tenant centers, the maximum grant is $250,000 based on a total expenditure of no less than $500,000 on eligible exterior improvements subject to additional requirements.
Examples of eligible funded improvements include:
- Window and door replacements, including awnings and sunshades
- Decorative outdoor fixtures including lighting
- Courtyard decorative pavers, masonry walls and footings
- ADA improvements, access ramps and signage
- Asphalt paving and restriping
- Exterior treatments, repairs, or replacement (paint, stucco, brick, or stone)
- Decorative fencing and walls
- Outdoor landscaping or replacement to drought-tolerant
- Design and permit fees associated with above eligible improvements
The focus of this program are commercial buildings and centers in the following areas: Carson Street, Avalon Boulevard, Main Street, Sepulveda Boulevard, and Figueroa Street. Commercial properties on other major streets will be considered if they are near the intersections of the major thoroughfares.
More information on the Small Business Grant and Commercial Façade Improvement Programs can be found on the City’s webpage at:
Small Business Grant: https://ci.carson.ca.us/CommunityDevelopment/SBGProgram.aspx
Commercial Façade: https://ci.carson.ca.us/CommunityDevelopment/CommercialFacade.aspx
Phone Number: (310) 952-1778