The City of Palm Desert is initiating a redistricting process to shift from the current two-district system to a new five-district system. The redistricting process will determine where the new City Council district lines will be drawn. The five new districts will impact how voters elect members of the City Council until the next redistricting process following the 2030 Census.
Residents can get involved by attending public hearings and community workshops, sharing their thoughts on communities that should be kept together in a single district, submitting draft maps of proposed district lines, joining public hearings, and providing feedback on draft maps.
The City of Palm Desert encourages the public to participate in the redistricting process, share their thoughts on the communities of interest, draw a proposed map, and provide feedback on draft maps once available. The City has developed a robust outreach plan that includes the following public hearings:
- Sept. 14, 2023, at 4:30 p.m. – Council Chamber/Zoom Hybrid
- Sept. 28, 2023, at 4:30 p.m. – Council Chamber/Zoom Hybrid
- Nov. 16, 2023, at 4:30 p.m. – Council Chamber/Zoom Hybrid
- Dec. 14, 2023, at 4:30 p.m. – Council Chamber/Zoom Hybrid
- Jan. 11, 2024, at 4:30 p.m. – Council Chamber/Zoom Hybrid
- Jan. 25, 2024, at 4:30 p.m. – Council Chamber/Zoom Hybrid
The City is also hosting three community workshops and two map drawing workshops, with virtual and in-person opportunities, to encourage residents to learn more about the process, including how to draw draft maps.
- Community Workshop #1: Sept. 6, 2023, at 6 p.m. – Civic Center/Zoom Hybrid
- Map Drawing Workshop #1: Oct. 4, 2023, at 5 p.m. – Virtual via Zoom
- Map Drawing Workshop #2: Oct. 16, 2023, at 5 p.m. – Virtual via Zoom
- Community Workshop #2: Nov. 29, 2023, at 6 p.m. – Palm Desert iHub, 37023 Cook St, Suite 102
- Community Workshop #3: Dec. 6, 2023, at 6 p.m. – Civic Center/Zoom Hybrid
Spanish & ASL interpreters will be on-site, and a Spanish interpreter and captioning will be available via Zoom for all community and map drawing workshops. Spanish and ASL Interpreters will be available on-site upon request for public hearings, and captioning will be provided on live stream.
The City of Palm Desert has launched RedistrictPD.org, a dedicated redistricting website. This website offers comprehensive background information, a schedule detailing public meetings and deadlines, informational frequently asked questions, resources to aid in map creation, and guidance on participation. As the process advances in the upcoming months, the City will consistently update the website to provide further details about forthcoming meetings and events.
For more information, visit RedistrictPD.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.