City of Baldwin Park
The Ideal Candidate
The City of Baldwin Park is seeking an experienced, confident, enthusiastic, innovative, and dedicated Chief Deputy City Clerk (at-will), who will handle the day-to-day duties, services, and operations of the City Clerk’s Office. This individual will supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned staff; and perform the duties as assigned and defined by California Statutes. Under the direction from the Chief Executive Officer, the ideal candidate will exercise independent judgment and initiative to fulfill all duties within the City Clerk’s office including public records requests, election management, and records management. An energetic individual that must be able to manage competing headlines, be a team player, and work well with other department staff in a fast-paced work environment.
This position performs a wide variety of complex, confidential, and/or time sensitive duties including, but not limited to: Prepare resolutions, ordinances, and related correspondence; develop forms and procedure handbooks; maintain, assemble, and correlate the official records of the City Council; fulfill requests under the Public Records Act and respond to inquiries; ensure timely processing of liability claims, contracts, ordinances, and resolutions; prepare agenda, supporting materials, and proclamations; perform specialized duties related to City Clerk’s functions such as administering oaths, certifying documents, maintaining and distributing the Municipal Code, custodian of the City Seal, receiving bonds, and receiving and opening sealed bids; assure compliance with legal requirements for posting, publication, and time lines and a variety of other codes, laws, and ordinances; notice, advertise, and calendar public hearings; prepare a variety of other notices in accordance with City, State, and Federal Law; oversee the maintenance, storage, retention, destruction and preservation of records, files, and official documents entrusted to the City Clerk’s office; assure compliance with legal requirements and established retention schedules; provide technical assistance to the City Council, CEO, City Attorney, departments, commissions, committees, and other personnel as necessary; plan and conduct municipal elections, ensure compliance to election and government code; advise candidates, City officials, and designated employees of Political Reform Act filing requirements; serve as filing officer for the Fair Political Practices Commission; administer the City’s Conflict of Interest code; maintain documents for public inspection; order and maintain election supplies and equipment; and perform other related duties as assigned.
Any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary for satisfactory job performance; example combinations include:
- Education equivalent to graduation from high school supplemented by course work in records management, business or a related field. A Bachelor’s Degree is highly desirable.
- At least four years of increasingly responsible secretarial experience, including two years in a City Clerk’s office; experience as a Deputy City Clerk is highly desirable.
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
- Certification of Notary Public is required or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Certification or ability to obtain certification by the International Institute of Municipal Clerks as a Certified Municipal Clerk.
The Selection Process
- For consideration in this job opportunity, please submit a completed City of Baldwin Park employment application. Apply immediately! The recruitment is open until filled. The first review of applications will be on Thursday, December 1, 2022. Applications can be submitted at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/baldwinpark
- Applications must be accompanied by a cover letter, resume, and five professional references. Please attach all required information when submitting your application.
- All applications will be reviewed in detail and the most highly qualified applicants will be invited to continue in the selection process. Failure to state all pertinent information may lead to elimination from competition.
- This selection process will consist of an Application Evaluation (Qualifying) and Appraisal Interviews (100%).
- The successful candidate will be required to undergo a background check which includes fingerprinting, pre-employment medical examination, including a drug/alcohol screening; and must be able to establish both work authorization and identity.
For more information regarding this opportunity, contact our office at (626) 813-5207. Business hours are Monday through Thursday from 7:30am to 6:00pm.
The City of Baldwin Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Baldwin Park is committed to promoting equal employment opportunity to all without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law. Please note: if you require an accommodation during the selection process, please notify the Human Resources Department. The provisions of this Brochure do not constitute an expressed or implied contract for employment. Any provision contained in this Brochure may be modified or revoked without notice