City of San Bernardino
JOB TITLE: City Manager
AGENCY: City of San Bernardino
LOCATION: San Bernardino, CA
FILING DEADLINE: June 30, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $325,000 – $350,000 Annually
The City Manager provides professional leadership in the management of the City and is responsible for the coordination of all municipal programs and the executive supervision of all City departments and agencies. Principal duties include assisting members of the City Council in formulating policies and responding to City Council issues and concerns, and to provide options, potential solutions, risks and opportunities. Under the direction of the City Council, the City Manager directs, plans, and organizes all administrative activities of the City, including development of goals, objectives, policies and procedures, as well as enforcing and administering municipal code, the charter and ordinances governing the City.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will be an experienced, confident, and skilled city manager with well-rounded municipal expertise and a track record of professional accomplishments that demonstrate her/his ability to effectively lead a large and diverse public organization. The selected candidate will demonstrate excellent leadership abilities and political acumen, as well as strategic planning and sound fiscal management. This position will require excellent communication and interpersonal skills necessary to build solid relations with City Council, staff, regional partners, business leaders, and the general public. This will be a challenging position that requires a strong and dynamic leader committed to quality improvement, customer service and creating a positive culture of high performance and accountability. The qualified candidate will be able to negotiate challenging political waters, while remaining apolitical and focused on organizational goals, managing a dedicated leadership team, and working with a passionate and involved City Council. A personable and approachable leader with cultural sensitivity, a good sense of the community’s needs and compassion for the underserved is highly desirable. This is an ideal opportunity for individuals that possess a passion for public service, especially serving an underserved community and who recognize the opportunity to create and establish an effective and efficient administrative infrastructure for long-term success.
Key characteristics and attributes:
- A seasoned manager with the highest personal and professional integrity and ethics.
- A successful track record of building collaborative business and community-oriented working relationships.
- An enthusiastic, inspiring, and engaged communicator. A good listener.
- A strong leader who shares the vision of the council and community, and can advocate, articulate, and implement that vision. The ability to deliver information and comprehensive research to City Council in a balanced and unbiased manner. Provide options and solutions with different sides to an issue with strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and risks for each alternative.
- A City Manager who can blend innovation and creativity, think outside the box, and creatively move the City in a positive direction while acknowledging and responding to its challenges.
- A solid, optimistic leader and role model with a positive presence; demonstrate initiative, be action oriented, treat others with respect, be collaborative and approachable.
- Technologically astute; recognizes the value of harnessing and integrating the benefits of cutting edge technology for city government and for residents.
- A strong and confident leader able to use sound judgement, wisdom and maintain flexibility. Must be politically astute, while remaining apolitical.
- A manager that can appreciate diversity and recognize the strength it brings to the community.
Founded in 1810, San Bernardino is a progressive community rich in history and cultural diversity. Recognized for its scenic beauty and strategic location, the City of San Bernardino, serves as the county seat and is the largest City in the County of San Bernardino, with a population of over 223,000 and more than 62 square miles. To keep its vision for the future at the forefront, the City of San Bernardino follows the guiding principles to be strong and prosperous by adopting the shared values of Integrity, Accountability, Respect for Human Dignity, Honesty, and Fairness. Residents of the City can expect quality, cost-effective services and an excellent public safety program dedicated to providing the highest level of police and emergency services.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/Rev2-San-Bernardino-CM.pdf.
To be considered for this exceptional career opportunity, please submit your resume, cover letter, and five work related references (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) at: https://koffassociates.com/city-manager-sb/. Resumes must reflect years and months of employment and positions held.
For additional information, please contact: