NOTE: This posting includes two levels of manager. Applications will be accepted, reviewed, and considered based on the qualifications listed on the application. The best qualified candidates that meet the minimum qualifications will be invited to test at the appropriate job level. Only ONE APPLICATION needs to be submitted to be considered for both positions.
Here in Huntington Beach, we believe passionately that the key to becoming the best beach City in the world starts and ends with finding the right people to join our team. At this time, we have an outstanding career opportunity available, as we’re looking for the “right person” to serve as Senior Information Technology Manager or Information Technology Manager in the Administrative Services Department.
The City is seeking an IT Manager who will be a collaborative leader with broad IT administrative technical skills, a personable and professional manager with a willingness to proactively address issues and partner with departments to find creative solutions to reach the best outcomes. The City desires a candidate who has demonstrated professional expertise in the field of information technology administration and management, including an extensive working knowledge of IT best practices and the full complement of applicable IT regulations and statutes.
But be aware that here in Huntington Beach, we are looking for so much more than just someone with premier technical skills. Because of primary importance for our organization will be the identification of an individual with a genuine leadership style grounded in humility. The successful candidate will have to understand and value the critical importance that people play in building a successful organization. And of note, our Senior/Information Technology Manager will need to absolutely and authentically…
…be willing to put the needs of the team ahead of any personal desires or ambitions. …have a high level of emotional intelligence, and a genuine love and passion for people. …demonstrate a desire to engage in the truly hard work needed for an agency to be premier.
So if you have a passion for teamwork and a commitment to continual improvement… if you are intrigued by the thought of being part of a team tasked with changing the world that is Huntington Beach for the better… if you are looking to join an organization that values people and community and the delivery of real results…
If that’s you, then we would love for you to consider joining our team here in Huntington Beach.
Key traits for our ideal Senior/Information Technology Manager include:
- A relationship builder and connector. Someone who can quickly forge strong, trusting relationships with diverse sets of people, and readily inspires others to action. Leadership through consensus. Someone who is an approachable consensus-builder, but is also capable of independent and decisive thought and action.
- A keen sense of ethics. Someone who recognizes the importance of personal and organizational integrity, and someone comfortable raising and discussing ethical issues with the goal of “doing what’s right,” not “being right.”
- Innovative and flexible. Someone able to see beyond what currently exists, and is constant in their pursuit of realistic game-changing breakthroughs for the Huntington Beach organization and community.
- Obsessive about outcomes. Someone who makes data-driven decisions and stays laser focused on truly audacious goals while balancing the day-to-day needs of the organization. A strategic problem-solver. Someone able to break large challenges into smaller, manageable pieces, and then works to identify trends and prioritizes solving the root cause of issues.
- Intellectual curiosity. Someone who is an excellent listener, and who applies strong critical thinking skills and business judgement to complex issues.
- A polished and professional demeanor. Someone who will take great pride in representing the Huntington Beach community, and one who will serve as an ambassador for the City.
- A Positive Attitude. Someone who understands that even the best laid plans can go wrong, and has the self-confidence to course-correct with positivity and grace.
IT Manager: Under administrative direction, responsible for planning, organizing, directing, staffing, and controlling technology functions and/or operations of multiple work units within the Information Services Department.
Senior IT Manager: Under general direction, responsible for directing, planning, organizing, and managing information technology systems and telecommunications in the Information Services Division of the Administrative Services Department.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Reports to: Director / Deputy Director of Administrative Services
Supervises: Professional, management and technical staff
The Senior Information Technology Manager manages the work of the Information Services Division, including enterprise information technology network, infrastructure, data, voice, customer service (including technical support and help desk operations), enterprise information technology business systems, and public safety systems, while the Deputy Director of Administrative Services is responsible for the overall management and coordination of the Information Services and Human Resources Divisions, and the short and long-term strategic planning for technology functions for the City.
The Information Technology Manager manages the enterprise information technology business systems, public safety systems, information technology network, infrastructure, data, and voice, customer service technical support and/or helpdesk operations.
Note: The class specification for Senior Information Technology Manager is pending final approval by the Personnel Commission.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Develops strategic plans, objectives and priorities for assigned work unit(s)/operational area(s); plans, develops and implements programs that utilize human and financial resources to achieve results
- Supervises the work of professional, management, technical and/or other employees directly or through subordinate supervisors to ensure adequate resources to perform their duties; ensures that assigned operations and activities comply with organization goals and objectives.
- Works with executive management on Citywide initiatives and prepares technical and non technical data and information for presentations to stakeholders, including the Executive Team, City Council, County-wide agency leaders, and other officials regarding technology initiatives, strategies, policies, and procedures.
- Formulates and develops plans, policies and project programs to meet short and long-term needs of the City
- Reviews and evaluates feasibility of major projects and initiatives; works with managers and technical staff to plan for implementation of new systems; participates in the study of new technology to determine its utility, consistency with technology standards, relevance for meeting City business and operational requirements and expected return on investment. Directs and coordinates the planning, development, implementation, and administration of a variety of projects to enhance and/or upgrade information technology systems, including interdepartmental and enterprise projects.
- Develops and administers annual budget; approves and tracks expenditures; reviews, approves and researches costs for new hardware, software, and other items; reviews, approves and prepares cost/benefit analyses, reports, and recommendations. Assumes responsibility for procurement of services and goods required; develops specifications for requests for proposal pertaining to external services; reviews submissions and provides recommendations on vendor selection.
- Meets and consults with customers and vendors regarding service delivery needs; oversees and participates in the design, development, delivery and/or implementation of IT products to meet those needs.
- Manages the development of operational and/or functional standards, practices, policies and procedures; participates in the development and implementation of strategic department goals, policies and priorities.
- Manages the information technology business systems, enterprise applications, public safety systems, and related networks, software and resources for the assigned work unit/operational area, using various technology tools that may involve or cross multiple platforms
- Designs, directs, and oversees work unit quality assurance activities.
- Directs the management of projects to enhance and/or upgrade technology services and utilization
- Manages projects that vary in size and scope, and require varying levels of staff and resource support
- Prepares reports, correspondence and other documents; participates on committees and task forces; attends meetings, conferences and training sessions.
- Attends leadership, management, supervisory, and information technology training to stay abreast of industry best practices.
- Develops processes to ensure business continuity in the event of a disaster.
- Reports to work as scheduled; works a variety of schedules including evenings, weekends, and holidays as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES FOR SENIOR IT MANAGER:
- Manages assigned operations of the Information Services Division, including leading the development and implementation of strategic goals, policies, and priorities for the Division as a whole.
- Assists the Director/Deputy Director in determining organizational structure, staffing needs, and work strategies to meet the short and long-term needs of the City.
- Develops operational and/or functional standards, practices, policies, and procedures affecting the operation of Information Services, including the development and implementation of a City technology plan.
- Through subsidiary managers and supervisors, exercises oversight and general management of the information technology infrastructure of the City; selects, manages, evaluates, and coaches Information Technology Managers.
- Develops and implements network and server related infrastructure, including security guidelines, policies, and solutions; designs and implements enterprise storage and processing solutions; responsible for broadband and connectivity citywide; works closely with telecommunication vendors and internet service providers to develop and implement network connectivity solutions.
- Designs, directs, and oversees Division quality assurance activities.
Any combination of education, training, and experience that would likely provide the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform in the position is qualifying. A typical combination includes:
- Principles and practices of public administration, including budgeting, staff development, customer service and human resource management.
- Principles and practices of effective management, supervision and leadership. Computer hardware and software systems similar to those being used by the City, including business applications, operating systems, and network systems.
- Principles, practices and techniques of advanced project management, including organizing and managing a project, developing schedules, identifying critical paths, breaking down a project into individual tasks, and delegating assignments to project staff.
- Advanced principles, methods and techniques used in designing, developing, testing and implementing information technology applications, systems, and networks.
- Advanced operations, services, concepts, terms and activities common to a comprehensive, state-of-the-art information technology program.
- Advanced information technology development lifecycle and design principles using flowcharting techniques and prototype development tools
- Advanced methods and techniques of evaluating business need requirements to provide technology solutions.
- Advanced operational characteristics of local and wide area network systems and operational characteristics of communication systems, equipment and devices Advanced principles and practices of information technology documentation and record keeping.
- Tools and equipment used in testing the functionality of computer systems
- Advanced principles and methods of troubleshooting computer hardware, software and network problems
- Database concepts.
- Principles and practices of customer service.
- Methods and techniques of developing and presenting technical documentation and training materials.
- Modern office procedures, methods and equipment.
In Addition, for Senior IT Manager:
- Hardware and software systems on client-server platforms and insight on current trends in information technology.
- Knowledge of municipal operations is helpful, but not required.
- Advanced operational characteristics of e-mail and communication systems, equipment, and devices.
- Remote and teleworker management.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of the City’s information technology systems. Plan, organize, and manage the work of the Information Services Division, including supervising and leading information technology staff responsible for applications, systems, and networks.
- Develop and implement policy.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive procedures manuals and documentation. Develop and administer budgets.
- Coordinate and administer a variety of information technology projects concurrently. Gather and evaluate information in order to reason logically, draw valid conclusions, take appropriate actions and/or make appropriate recommendations.
- Communicate technical information to a wide variety of users.
- Interpret and apply complex and technical information pertaining to computer and network systems.
- Adapt quickly to changes in policies, procedures, assignments and work locations. Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those encountered during the course of the work.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, information technology, or other directly related field. Master’s degree desirable.
IT Manager: Five (5) years’ experience in a complex information technology systems environment with related experience in area of responsibility, including two (2) years direct supervisory experience.
Senior IT Manager: Seven (7) years’ experience in a complex information technology systems environment, including at least three (3) years’ experience supervising technical and professional information technology staff. Knowledge of municipal operations is desirable.
Certification in information technology or a related area from a governmental agency, recognized professional organization, or other certifying body is desirable.
Information Technology Manager: $10.330.67 – $12,797.20 Monthly
Senior Information Technology Manager: $10,954.67 – $13,572.00 Monthly
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
An official City of Huntington Beach online job application must be filled out in its entirety. Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training. Please attach a cover letter and resume to your application, prior to submitting. Depending upon the applicant pool, all applicants meeting the minimum qualifications will NOT necessarily be selected to participate in the hiring process.
Applicants whose qualifications BEST meet the City’s needs will be invited to participate in a qualifications assessment, which will include an oral board exam (weighted 100%) – tentatively scheduled for June 21, 2021.
Candidates successful at obtaining a passing score on the assessment process will be placed on the employment eligible list from which hires may be made. The employment eligible list may be valid for one year, unless exhausted sooner.
Prior to making a final selection, additional interviews may be conducted with the top candidate(s) – date to be determined.
Upon a conditional offer of employment a pre-placement medical evaluation, drug screen (select positions), TB screening and California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting must be completed with acceptable results. Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position.
Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.
CLOSING DATE: 06/11/21 05:00 PM