City of Yucaipa
The Community of Yucaipa
The City of Yucaipa is a family-oriented community with a population of approximately 56,000. The City is nestled in the foothills of the San Bernardino Mountains at an elevation of approximately 3,000 feet. It offers clearer skies and cooler temperatures than some of the surrounding communities.
The City offers open spaces, trails, and parks unparalleled in the Inland Empire, including the nearly 1,000-acre Wildwood Canyon State Park, more than 3,000 acres of open space embodied in Crafton Hills, and the 800-acre San Bernardino County maintained Regional Park, as well as over 540 acres of City Parks, including the 340-acre El Dorado Ranch Park. In addition, there are 48 miles of interconnected multi-purpose trails throughout the community. City facilities include a 32-acre Community Park, Community Center, Senior Center, Performing Arts Center, and Aquatics Center; including a 50-meter pool and separate recreational swimming facility.
In addition to nice neighborhoods and the recreational opportunities available in the community, a comprehensive approach to community safety has produced one of the lowest crime rates for any city within San Bernardino County.
The City of Yucaipa operates under a Council / Manager form of Government. The Council members are elected from five geographically defined districts for four-year terms. The City Manager leads a team of approximately 61 full-time employees with a total operating and capital budget in the amount of approximately $68 million for fiscal year 2022/23.
The City Council has a long history of conservative fiscal stewardship, maintaining healthy reserves for decades, and the reputation as a well-managed city. The City has a strong commitment to professionalism, open and responsible customer service to our residents and business owners, and the well-being of its customers, employees and citizens.
The Director of Finance is a department head position, which reports directly to the Assistant City Manager, and oversees a department budget of approximately $1.2 million, with eight full time staff. The Department is comprised of two Divisions. It is responsible for the administration of the City’s Finance and Accounting operations.
The Director plans, organizes, directs and reviews the activities and operations of the Finance Department including finance, budgeting, accounting, and treasury services (under the direction of the City treasurer); coordinates assigned activities with other departments and outside agencies; provides leadership to the organization; and provides highly responsible and complex financial support to the City Manager and City Council.
The ideal candidate for the Director of Finance position is a professional with the highest level of integrity, outstanding judgment, leadership and accountability skills. The Director will be collaborative, inclusive, tech savvy, committed to exceptional customer service both internally and externally, and able to motivate and maximize the skills of staff. The ideal candidate will also need to be energetic, self-confident, and have an open, approachable management style.
The candidate will possess strength of character and depth of knowledge to inspire and lead the Finance Department’s talented, dedicated staff. The candidate will be a key member of the Executive Management Team, provide financial advice to the City Manager and City Council, maintain fiscal stability, administer the payroll, and safeguard the assets of the City.
The City is looking for someone with a wealth of experience in accounting and managing City investment portfolios, who has the willingness to bring a hands-on approach to the department. Experience working in Tyler Munis, landscape maintenance funding, and comprehensive fee studies is highly desired. Come be a part of the family and see what makes Yucaipa such a nice place to live and work!
Summary of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assume full management responsibility for all Finance Department services and activities including development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities, and allocation of resources. Establish and administer a centralized system of financial administration for the City including accounting, payroll, assessments auditing, general ledger, and investments.
- Invest funds in accordance with City Council Policy and State law.
- Develop, plan and implement department goals and objectives; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
- Coordinate department activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations; provide staff assistance to the City Manager and City Council; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Supervise and participate in the development and administration of the Finance department budget; City wide operating budget and Capital Improvement Program budget; monitor and approve expenditures; prepare and implement mid-year adjustments as approved; oversee the Accounting Division including project and grant accounting; maintain grant compliance, etc.
- Direct and participate in the development and presentation of complex financial reports and statements including annual audits, cash flow analyses, and federal, state and regional financial reports. Assist the City Treasurer with cash flow management and the management of investments; oversee the preparation of Treasurer’s report.
- Represent the department to outside groups and organizations; participate in outside community and professional groups and committees; provide technical assistance as necessary.
- Oversee the administration of the purchasing function within the City
- Direct and participate in the review of all financial transactions and control the expenditure of appropriated funds; enforce compliance with standard accounting systems and fiscal procedures.
- Interpret and apply legal and administrative concepts to various accounting functions and ensure conformance to generally accepted accounting standards, practices, and procedures.
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; conduct performance evaluations; implement discipline procedures; maintain discipline and high standards necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the department.
Annual salary for the position is $149,352 to $186,520. The generous benefit package includes:
- Retirement: City employees are covered by the State of California Public Employees’ Retirement System. Classic CalPERS members participate in a 2% at 55 formula, while new CalPERS members (PEPRA) participate in a 2% at 62 formula.
- Vacation: Management employees earn 80 hours of vacation during the first two years of service, 120 hours during years 3 through 9, and 160 hours per year after 9 years.
- Holidays: The City observes 12 paid fixed holidays per year, as well as additional days between Christmas and New Years.
- Administrative Leave: Department Heads receive 80 hours of administrative leave per year.
- Sick Leave: Sick leave accrues by pay period for a total of 96 hours per year.
- Cafeteria Benefits Plan: The City pays $1,295 per month, which can be applied towards medical and dental benefits.
- Work Schedule: The City operates a 4×10 work schedule, with every Friday off.
- Deferred Compensation: The City matches an employee’s contribution, up to 3%, to an ICMA 457 account.
- Other Benefits: Life insurance coverage of $50,000, tuition reimbursement, auto allowance of $250 per month.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, finance, business administration or a related field.
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license. CPA or other applicable certification is desirable.
- A minimum of seven years of increasingly responsible experience in finance, accounting, in a municipal or public agency setting; including three years of administrative and management responsibility.
To apply, submit a completed City of Yucaipa application through our website at www.yucaipa.org.
Deadline: September 15, 2022 by 11:59 p.m.