City of West Hollywood
FILING DEADLINE: February 3, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $189,311.04 – $262,930.68 Annually
The Director of Economic Development leads a department of approximately 12 staff members in the creation and implementation of economic development strategies for the City, including: business attraction and recruitment, retention, expansion, and small and current business support; directs and carries out the City’s efforts to attract domestic and international businesses with a focus on hospitality, entertainment, and design, including site selection, development agreements and project management. This position works closely with community partners and external stakeholders, including state, regional, and local organizations, and elected leaders. Additionally, this position will work with other internal departments to attract new development and promote and support the existing business community throughout the City.
With an economic impact study underway, this is an exciting time for the City and the new Director who will identify and implement economic development strategies and programs involving the arts, property, and business investment to key areas of the City, including those affected by the negative impacts of COVID-19.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate is a dynamic, professional leader and excellent communicator who can represent, promote, and market the City through participation with various local, state, and regional business groups and has experience in leading a successful economic development team. The successful candidate will demonstrate and encourage teamwork and collaboration; leading and coordinating economic development meetings; providing input regarding all City development issues; researching and preparing data and materials for review and successful project implementation. This position requires a can-do, high-energy Director who can delegate effectively and has had success leading key initiatives and programs as part of an Economic Development Department, bringing high-quality businesses to the community. The position requires a leader who is willing to enthusiastically roll up their sleeves and be a working manager. While technical skills are very important, it will be necessary for this individual to have excellent interpersonal skills, political acumen, and awareness; encourage and listen to feedback; and have the ability to work closely with City Council, executive leadership, and staff from all departments, while adapting quickly to changing priorities in a fast-paced organization.
Key Attributes and Characteristics:
- Excellent interpersonal skills are necessary to build positive working relationships with the City leadership, staff and partnering departments, professional or peer organizations, various state, and federal agencies, as well as vendors and suppliers.
- Excellent communication skills and professionalism in making presentations in front of City Council and community audiences of various sizes and at all levels.
- Strong personnel management and mentor with a motivational leadership style; able to delegate authority and responsibility while promoting individual accountability and high performance.
- A collaborative problem solver who is able to form consensus, be organized and decisive, and work with a sense of urgency.
- Calm under pressure, possessing a positive attitude and a good sense of humor.
- An active listener, and responsive to the development community, residents, and businesses.
- A charismatic and humble leader who demonstrates confidence and high integrity, while providing exceptional customer service and possesses an understanding of the importance of West Hollywood’s community dynamics.
- Understanding of public and private project financing methods.
The City of West Hollywood is like no other city in the world. In 1984, the idea for the City of West Hollywood was proposed by an unlikely coalition of LGBT activists, seniors, and renters. These groups came together to advocate for cityhood. Located in the heart of metropolitan Los Angeles, at 1.9 square miles, West Hollywood is a robust economic and cultural center instilled with idealism and creativity. West Hollywood shares boundaries with the cities of Beverly Hills and Los Angeles. A spirit of community activism and civic pride thrives in West Hollywood for many of its approximately 36,000 residents. For nearly four decades, West Hollywood has been one of the most influential small cities in the nation; no other city of its size has had a greater impact on the national progressive public policy agenda. More than 40 percent of West Hollywood’s residents identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Rev4-West-Hollywood-DED.pdf.
To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter, and five work related references (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) to: https://koffassociates.com/director-of-economic-development/. Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of staff and budgets you have managed.
For additional information, please contact:
For additional information, please contact:
Frank Rojas at: (510) 495-0448