City of Calexico
Compensation: $111,703–$135,775 annually plus a competitive benefits package
Closing Date: Open until filled
Under the direction of the city manager, plan, organize, control and direct the operations, activities and functions of the Finance Department including utility billing, cash management, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and general ledger; coordinate and direct fiscal record-keeping, reporting and the development, monitoring, analysis, maintenance, auditing and adjustment of City accounts, funds and budgets; supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel.
The new director will be a collaborative, energetic, positive, and customer-focused leader with excellent interpersonal skills and a proven track record of completing assignments in a timely and successful manner. An experience base that includes extensive and proactive staff interaction combined with a strong foundation of economic, financial and political acumen is essential in this role.
- Plan, organize, control and direct the operations, activities and functions of the Finance Department including utility billing, cash management, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and general ledger; establish and maintain fiscal timelines and priorities; assure financial activities comply with established standards, requirements, laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Coordinate and direct financial record-keeping, reporting and related auditing functions to assure accurate and timely accounting and reporting of City funds and budgets; direct and participate in the review of financial statements, records and reports to assure accuracy, completeness and compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles; direct activities to assure proper and timely identification and resolution of fiscal issues, errors and discrepancies.
- Plan, organize, control, approve and direct the calculation, posting, auditing and adjustment of journal entries; monitor, evaluate, balance and reconcile various accounts, funds and budgets; audit and assure accurate accounting of funds including income and expenditures; initiate budget and fund transfers and adjustments as appropriate; audit accounts for errors and make appropriate adjustments; analyze and approve adjustments to utility accounts as appropriate.
- Supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel; interview and select employees and recommend transfers, reassignment, termination and disciplinary actions; coordinate subordinate work assignments and review work to assure compliance with established standards, requirements and procedures; assure employee understanding of established requirements.
- Provide technical information and assistance to the City Manager concerning accounting and budgetary functions, needs and issues; participate in the formulation and development of fiscal policies, procedures and programs; keep the City Manager, City Council and department heads current concerning the City’s financial condition and new financial developments.
- Plan, organize, control, and direct City accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll functions; direct and assure accuracy of related transactions including income, expenditures and fund transfers; assure proper and timely payment of financial obligations and City employees; review, authorize and direct the preparation and processing of requisitions, purchase orders, invoices and payments; assure proper collection and processing of revenue to assure adequate cash flow and fiscal solvency.
- Oversee and participate in the development and preparation of the annual preliminary City budget; analyze and review related budgetary and financial data; control and authorize expenditures; prepare revenue and expenditure projections to assist with budget preparation and determine budget requirements; assure City expenditures comply with budget limits and grant agreements.
- Direct the preparation and maintenance of various financial and statistical records, statements and reports related to budgets, accounts, funds, income, expenditures, taxes, payroll, claims, audits, transfers, personnel, grants, investments and assigned activities; assure mandated reports are completed and submitted to appropriate State, federal or other funding agency according to established timelines; generate monthly status reports for department heads.
- Provide training, technical assistance and expertise to City administrators and personnel concerning fiscal and budgetary operations and activities; respond to inquiries and provide detailed and technical information concerning related accounts, funds, budgets, income, expenditures, records, reports, standards, requirements, projections, principles, laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Manage and maintain the City’s investment portfolio; monitor economic and financial trends to identify and analyze investment opportunities available to the City; determine optimal type and amount of investments necessary to meet the financial needs of the City and initiate related transactions; negotiate the purchase, sale and exchange of securities as directed.
- Monitor and evaluate City fiscal functions and activities for financial effectiveness and operational efficiency; participate in the development and implementation of programs, policies and procedures to enhance the financial effectiveness and operational efficiency of City accounting functions.
- Research and conduct a variety of studies and special projects as assigned including financial forecast, funding and cost studies.
- Direct the completion of and provide information for the annual City and RDA audit; review, analyze and audit City and RDA statements to assure compliance with established requirements;
- prepare and submit complete year-end financial statements and reports for the preceding year.
- Communicate with other administrators, personnel, the public and outside organizations to coordinate activities and programs, resolve issues and conflicts and exchange information.
- Operate a computer and assigned software programs; operate other office equipment as assigned; drive a vehicle to conduct work as necessary.
- Attend, conduct and participate in a variety of meetings as assigned.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Planning, organization and direction of the operations, activities and functions of the Finance Department including utility billing, cash management, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and general ledger. Accounting, auditing, budget and business functions of a city government.
- Advanced theory and application of budgetary planning and control in city system.
- Generally accepted accounting and auditing principles, practices and procedures.
- Preparation, analysis, review and control of City accounts and budgets.
- Fiscal organization, operations, policies and objectives of the City.
- Fiscal systems, techniques, standards and procedures involved in the investment of City funds. Applicable laws, codes, regulations policies and procedures.
- Financial and statistical record-keeping techniques.
- Financial analysis and projection techniques.
- Preparation of financial statements and comprehensive accounting reports.
- Principles and practices of administration, supervision and training.
- Operation of a variety of office equipment including a computer and assigned software. Oral and written communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Plan, organize, control and direct the operations, activities and functions of the Finance Department including utility billing, cash management, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable and general ledger.
- Coordinate and direct fiscal record-keeping, reporting and the development, monitoring, analysis, maintenance, auditing and adjustment of City accounts, funds and budgets.
- Supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel.
- Direct activities to assure proper and timely identification and resolution of fiscal issues, errors and discrepancies.
- Provide technical training, assistance and expertise concerning accounting and budget functions. Direct and participate in the development, preparation, review and analysis of the City and departmental budgets to assure proper allocations, fund disbursement and fiscal solvency.
- Assure proper and timely payment of financial obligations and City employees.
- Coordinate and conduct audits to assure compliance with fiscal standards and requirements. Assure accurate accounting of funds including income and expenditures.
- Evaluate financial and budgetary data and prepare reports, forecasts and recommendations. Interpret, apply and explain laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Operate a computer and assigned office equipment.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Meet schedules and timelines.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Plan and organize work.
- Direct the preparation and maintenance of various financial and statistical records and comprehensive accounting reports.
Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Training: equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance, business administration or closely related field.
- Experience: Five years of increasingly responsible governmental accounting experience, including three years in a supervisory capacity.
- Licenses or Certificates: Possession of a valid California Driver’s License.
Ideal Candidate Attributes
- Will be considered a role model and a mentor by Department Staff.
- Create a positive team environment conducive to attract and retain talented employees.
- Provide opportunities for growth and staff development.
- Ensure accountability and high standards of conduct.
- Embrace a continuing commitment to customer service from business processes to staff interactions.
- Will be an outstanding communicator and possess a persuasive demeanor with the ability to convince others through well-reasoned authentic collaborative explanations.
- Will be innovative, results-oriented and capable of guiding a multifaceted team to pursue solutions to fiscal constraints through flexibility and consensus building.
Additional Application Instructions
All applicants are required to submit a City Employment Application, Resume, cover letter and five references (references will not be contacted unless mutual interest is established).
Applications will be accepted until position has been filled, first submission deadline will be 01/31/2023.