West Valley Water District
JOB TITLE: General Manager
AGENCY: West Valley Water District
LOCATION: Rialto, CA
FILING DEADLINE: January 11, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $235,768 – $259,345 Annually
AN OUTSTANDING CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Reporting to and appointed by a Five-Member Board of Directors, the General Manager serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the District and is accountable for developing, implementing, and executing short- and long-term plans, policies, budgets, and strategies to accomplish the District’s mission, Strategic Plan and Board of Directors priorities. The incumbent operates within broad general policy guidelines and exercises substantial latitude and discretion to achieve effective and efficient utilization of the District’s resources in serving the District’s constituencies and ratepayers.
The General Manager will be responsible for the daily management and oversight of the District, including working closely with the various department and program directors, as well as with other external agencies and stakeholders. Under general policy guidance from the Board of Directors, the General Manager oversees, reviews, and evaluates Administration, Engineering, Finance, Operations, Human Resources, Customer Service and Community Relations; ensuring that services and operations are delivered in an efficient and effective manner, and also acts as principal advisor to the Board.
Essential Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide leadership in the implementation of Board policies and the development of strategies, business plans, budgets, programs, procedures, long-range plans and administrative and personnel management for the District.
- Plan and evaluate senior management staff performance.
- Provide leadership and work with staff to develop their skills to the highest potential.
- Hire and retain highly competent, customer-service oriented staff.
- Apply day-to-day management practices which support the District’s mission, objectives, and values.
- Direct the development of operating and capital budgets for consideration and eventual adoption by the Board.
- Represent the District before external organizations, including other water districts/agencies, governmental and regulatory agencies, private entities, professional and community organizations, citizen boards and commissions, the media, and the general public.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic, visionary, and strategic leader with extensive management and administrative abilities. The successful candidate will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills necessary to build and maintain effective relationships with internal staff, partnering agencies, and the Board of Directors. This is an exciting opportunity for a politically astute manager and change agent with the ability to interact with the legislature and other elected officials on matters that affect the District and community to make a difference in the future growth, stability, and future success of WVWD. Solid knowledge of water issues and organizational structure, regulatory compliance, business practices and principles, the budget process, and administration are essential. The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker who appreciates the need for teamwork and collaboration. The WVWD’s next General Manager must be willing and able to manage people and motivate the creative process with inspiration, show capacity to multi-task and manage diversity of activity, programs, and staff, while leading with diplomacy, inclusive communication, and positive motivational leadership. Past experience in strategic plan development is helpful.
The position requires a motivated leader, who is positive, approachable, and committed to excellence. The ideal candidate will understand County, regional and State water issues and trends and the Integrated Regional Water Management (IRWM) collaboration and funding process which includes County, regional, Tribal and State entities.
Key Competencies and Characteristics
- A solid leader and role model with a positive presence who demonstrates initiative, is action-oriented, exercises good judgment, treats others with respect, and is open and approachable.
- An active problem solver who anticipates and responds to problems in a timely manner, develops alternative solutions, and is able to bring resolution to issues quickly, involving others as needed.
- A relationship builder committed to excellence with a strong customer service ethic and the ability to empower employees while also holding them accountable.
- An outstanding manager of people who provides guidance and professional support to staff, offers regular feedback to employees, and serves as a mentor in providing training and growth opportunities.
- Excellent at writing clear, concise staff and other reports for presentation in oral or written format to the Board or other elected bodies.
- A leader who is collaborative and supportive in working with executive leadership, ensuring the organization works toward a common goal.
- A person with the highest ethical standards who commands the trust and respect of peers through conduct of high integrity and professionalism.
THE WEST VALLEY WATER DISTRICT
Located in Rialto, California in San Bernardino County, West Valley Water District (WVWD) has served the Southern California communities of Bloomington, Colton, Fontana, Rialto, unincorporated areas of San Bernardino County and Jurupa Valley since 1952. Through name changes and consolidation, the mission has always remained the same: to provide customers with safe, high quality, and reliable water service at a reasonable rate and in a sustainable manner. The District provides water for over 97,000 customers and is overseen by a five-member, publicly elected Board of Directors.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Rev2-West-Valley-WD-GM.pdf.
To be considered, please electronically submit your resume, cover letter and a list of five professional references (references will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) to: https://koffassociates.com/wvwd-general-manager/.
Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of staff and budgets you have managed.
For additional information, please contact:
Frank Rojas at: (510) 495-0448