Huntington Beach Fire Department
Revised filing deadline of September 20, 2023, 5:00 P.M.
The Central Net Operations Joint Powers Authority believes strongly that the key to becoming the best organization starts and ends with finding the right people to join our team. At this time, we have an outstanding career opportunity available, as we’re looking for the “right person” to serve as Management Analyst for the Central Net Operations Joint Powers Authority.
Central Net Operations Authority (CNOA) is a Joint Powers Authority formed under Title I of the Government Code of the State of California. It is a separate public entity formed to provide the highest possible level of fire suppression, fire prevention, emergency medical and other related fire service training. Member agencies include the Cities of Fountain Valley and Huntington Beach. The CNOA training facility is also used by numerous public sector organizations in Orange County for a wide spectrum of training programs and related activities.
We’re looking for a Management Analyst with previous experience with budget and CIP preparation, presentation and administration; facilities management; long-term planning; program management and marketing. This individual will have responsibility for the day-to-day activities and operations of the CNOA Training Center and work in support and liaison to member agencies, the JPA Board of Directors, outside agencies and the general public. The incumbent will also forecast Training Center needs, manage rental and use of the facility, oversee billing; forecast and track revenues, administer contracts and agreements, market and outreach to promote the Training Center and respond to Board Member inquiries.
However, we are looking for much more than just someone with outstanding technical skills. Because of primary importance for our organization will be the identification of an individual with a genuine leadership style grounded in humility. The successful candidate will have to understand and value the critical importance that people play in building a successful organization. And of note, our Management Analyst will need to absolutely and genuinely…
…be willing to put the needs of the team ahead of any personal desires or ambitions.
…have a high level of emotional intelligence, and a genuine love and passion for people.
…demonstrate a desire to engage in the truly hard work needed for an agency to be premier.
So if you have a commitment to teamwork and continual improvement… if you are intrigued by the thought of being part of a team tasked with making significant contributions to the fire service….. if you are looking to join an organization that values people and the communities we serve and the delivery of real results…
If that’s you, then we would love for you to consider joining our team!
Key traits for our ideal Management Analyst include:
A relationship builder and connector. Someone who can quickly forge strong, trusting relationships with diverse sets of people, and readily inspires others to action.
Leadership through consensus. Someone who is an approachable consensus-builder, but is also capable of independent and decisive thought and action.
A keen sense of ethics. Someone who recognizes the importance of personal and organizational integrity, and someone comfortable raising and discussing ethical issues with the goal of “doing what’s right,” not “being right.” Innovative and flexible. Someone able to see beyond what currently exists, and is constant in their pursuit of realistic game-changing breakthroughs for the Huntington Beach organization and community. Focused on outcomes. Someone who makes data-driven decisions and stays clearly focused on ambitious goals while balancing the day-to-day needs of the organization.
A strategic problem-solver. Someone able to break large challenges into smaller, manageable pieces, and then works to identify trends and prioritizes solving the root cause of issues.
Intellectual curiosity. Someone who is an excellent listener, and who applies strong critical thinking skills and business judgement to complex issues.
A polished and professional demeanor. Someone who will take great pride in representing the Central Net Operations Authority, and one who will serve as an ambassador for the Authority.
A positive attitude. Someone who understands that even the best laid plans can go wrong, and has the self confidence to course-correct with positivity and grace.
Note: Although the current opening is for the Central Net Operations Authority, the employment list will be in existence for one year unless exhausted sooner and could be used for additional Management Analyst openings for the City of Huntington Beach.
- Principles and practices of public administration
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local codes, laws, and regulations
- Principles of budget preparation and administration and grant application and administration
- Principles and practices of program development and administration, contract negotiation, preparation, and monitoring
- Organizational and management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of programs, policies, and operational needs of assignment
- Methods and techniques of research, analysis, and statistical and analytical report preparation English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Principles and practices of customer service, public relations, public information, and program education and promotion
- Principles and procedures of financial record keeping and reporting
- Modern office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and supporting word processing and spreadsheet applications
- Perform professional level administrative support duties involving the use of independent judgment and personal initiative
- Organize, coordinate, and prioritize activities to meet established dead lines;
- Participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, and procedures for assigned areas Participate in budget preparation and administration for assigned areas
- Interpret and apply administrative rules and departmental policies and procedures
- Prepare clear and concise administrative and financial reports
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals
- Understand the organization and operation of the assigned area as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities Operate a variety of office equipment including computers and associated business software applications
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Conduct business offsite and travel to various locations within a reasonable timeframe
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Business, Public Administration or other related field.
Experience: Two years’ professional-level management analyst experience within a municipality or other public sector agency, or one year professional-level management analyst experience with a municipality or other public sector agency and a Master’s degree in a related field.
License/Certification: A valid California Class C driver license with an acceptable driving record required at time of appointment and during course of employment.
Application & Selection Process
An official City of Huntington Beach online job application must be filled out in its entirety. Please attach a resume to your application.
Applications will be closely reviewed for relevant experience, education and training.
Those applicants whose application materials demonstrate the highest qualifications for the position, and BEST meet the Central Net Operations Authority’s needs, will be invited to participate in the qualifications assessment process. The assessment process will include an oral board exam (weighted 100%).
Candidates successful at obtaining a passing score on the oral board exam will be placed on the employment eligible list from which hires may be made. The employment eligible list may be valid for one year, unless exhausted sooner. Prior to making a final selection, additional interviews may be conducted with the top candidate(s). Upon a conditional offer of employment a pre-placement medical evaluation, drug screen (select positions), TB Screening and California Department of Justice (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting must be completed with acceptable results. Other background reports may also be conducted depending on the position/assignment. Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification.