San Mateo County has an exceptional opportunity to direct the activities of the Investment Division of our Retirement Association. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and receiving general direction from the SamCERA Retirement Board, you will be responsible for developing and executing a continuous plan of investment practices and formulating investment philosophy and strategies for the retirement association.
This includes ensuring the Board’s asset allocation plan is properly maintained; making recommendations to the Board on investment policies and strategies designed to provide maximum risk adjusted return; evaluating reports on various investments and preparing special analyses; directing the analysis, research and investigation connected with a variety of financial transactions; maintaining a close liaison with outside investment managers and advisors; developing RFP’s and analyzing bids; as well as directing the preparation and presentation of financial transaction records.
The ideal candidate will be a highly qualified investment professional and have an in-depth professional knowledge of:
- Securities transaction principles and practices
- Principles of Portfolio theory, management and asset allocation
- Cash flow analysis for investment portfolio activities
- Global economics, currencies and exchange rates, capital markets and interest rates
- Asset classes to include domestic and international equities, domestic and global fixed income, money market and financial derivative instruments, institutional real estate and alternative investments
- Risk management techniques and theory
- Federal, State and local laws governing retirement benefits, plans and investments
- Money and banking as applied to investment management
In addition, the ideal candidate will have a Master’s degree in Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics or related field, certification as a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), and 10 years of full-time professional experience leading investment staff in directing investments or investment policy for a retirement system or corporate pension fund, endowment, foundation or investment organization with assets in excess of five hundred million dollars.
The annual salary ranges up to $183,601.
The application deadline is March 8, 2012.