The City of Hawthorne, renowned for its commitment to providing exceptional recreational and fitness programs, is thrilled to announce the return of its vibrant and inclusive Aquatics Program, set to run from June through August. Aimed at catering to individuals of all ages and abilities, the Hawthorne Aquatics Center is proud to present a diverse range of aquatic activities and programs that embody the spirit of community, wellness and water safety.
The Hawthorne Aquatics Program presents an exciting array of offerings designed to inspire confidence,
foster skills and create unforgettable aquatic experiences:
- Swim Lessons: Gain aquatic confidence with our exceptional swim lessons! Whether you’re taking your first strokes or refining your technique, our certified instructors will guide your journey. Gain water confidence, essential swimming techniques and safety skills in comprehensive two-week courses that take place on weekdays or through a ten-week course that meets on weekends. Swimming lessons are offered in 30 and 50 minute sessions. Weekday classes take place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., while classes are offered on weekends from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Lap Swim: Regardless of whether you’re a seasoned swimmer, or are just starting your aquatic journey, community members seeking fitness can enjoy our lap swim program. With dedicated lanes and a supportive environment, achieve your fitness goals at your pace while lifeguards ensure safety. More information on lap swim hours is provided below:
- Summer season: Weekdays (except for Thursdays) from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Fall season: Weekdays (except for Thursdays) 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. Weekends from 9 a.m. to
- Recreational Swim: Families and individuals can delight in leisurely water activities during open recreational swim sessions, which take place every day from 1 to 3 p.m. Play and relax in our well-maintained and supervised pool—our aquatics staff will ensure your safety and enjoyment. This program ends on August 20.
- H20 Aerobics for Adults: Stay active with our invigorating water aerobics classes, designed to be gentle on joints without sacrificing exceptional fitness results. More information on class hours is provided below:
- Summer season: Weekdays (except for Thursdays) from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Weekends from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m.
- Fall season: Weekdays (except for Thursdays) three morning sessions from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. and an evening session from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Weekends from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Junior Lifeguard Program: Young water enthusiasts can build exceptional water and safety skills
with our Junior Lifeguard Program! Learn vital lifesaving skills, CPR, first aid and water rescue techniques, guided by experienced instructors. Develop self-confidence, leadership and teamwork skills over this two session, four-week program. Our 2023 Junior Lifeguard Program will conclude on August 18, but will return in 2024.
- Adaptive Swim Classes for Special Needs: Our adaptive swim classes are tailored to meet the needs of individuals with special requirements, ensuring they can enjoy and benefit from aquatic activities. Experienced instructors work closely with children, ensuring a positive and comfortable experience for both child and parent. Parents or guardians also play a vital role in these classes—by participating in the lessons, parents can offer encouragement and support, ensuring that their child feels safe and confident in the water. Our adaptive swim program span, 10 weeks, with classes taking place every Sunday. Our adaptive swim program will conclude on August 20.
- Hammerhead Swim Team: Join the Hawthorne Hammerheads for dynamic year-round team-building and friendly competition. Each team meets two days a week (on Monday and Wednesday, Tuesday and Thursday or Monday and Thursday). And, on one Friday a month, the teams will compete in friendly races, relays and water games.
“The City of Hawthorne Aquatics Center is a haven for water enthusiasts of all backgrounds,” said City Manager Vontray Norris. “From mastering the art of swimming to enjoying fitness and leisure, we’re dedicated to catering to the diverse needs of our community.”
Lap swim, H2O Aerobics for Adults and the Hammerhead Swim Team will continue throughout the year; look out for our full schedule of aquatic activities in 2024!
Those interested in experiencing the thrill of the City of Hawthorne Aquatics Program are encouraged to visit cityofhawthorne.org/departments/community-services/hawthorne-pool for comprehensive information, class schedules and program registration details. The Hawthorne Aquatics Center is located at 12501 S Inglewood Avenue, Hawthorne, CA 90250. Don't miss out on your opportunity to make a splash!