In 2023, 25 special districts responded to CSDA’s three major Calls-to-Action earning the distinction as CSDA’s 2023 Advocacy All-Stars. On behalf of all special districts and the communities they serve, CSDA salutes the board members and staff of these special districts for recognizing the value of taking action in our Capitol and making Districts Stronger Together.
This year’s Calls-to-Action, found at csda.net/take-action, included:
- Initiative #21-0042A1: Limits Ability of Voters and State and Local Governments
- Protect and Retain the Majority Vote Act (ACA 13)
- Emergency Remote Meetings (AB 557)
With the help of these leading members, CSDA was pleased to successfully sponsor AB 557 (Hart) and play a critical role in support of ACA 13 (Ward). Both measures were enacted, with AB 557 taking effect January 1 and ACA 13 making its way to the November 2024 statewide ballot.
CSDA continues to call upon all special districts to pass a resolution in opposition to Initiative 21-0042A1, which is now eligible for the 2024 statewide ballot and is facing a legal challenge before the California Supreme Court. This initiative would revise the State’s Constitution in a manner that would disrupt essential government functions and promises to be a top priority for CSDA in the new year.
2023 Special District Advocacy All-Stars
- Alameda County Mosquito Abatement District
- Artesia Cemetery District
- Bear Valley Water District
- Coachella Valley Public Cemetery District
- Conejo Recreation and Park District
- Eden Township Healthcare District
- Fresno Mosquito and Vector Control District
- Gold Mountain Community Services District
- Goleta West Sanitary District
- Groveland Community Services District
- Monte Vista Water District
- North County Fire Protection District (San Diego County)
- Olympic Valley Public Service District
- Ross Valley Sanitary District
- Santa Clara Valley Open Space Authority
- Southern Marin Fire Protection District
- Stege Sanitary District
- Strawberry Fire Protection District
- Tahoe City Public Utility District
- Tamalpais Community Services District
- Three Valleys Municipal Water District
- Town of Discovery Bay Community Services District
- Truckee Sanitary District
- Twain Harte Community Services District
- Vista Irrigation District
About the California Special Districts Association
The California Special Districts Association (CSDA) is a 501c(6), not-for-profit association that was formed in 1969 to promote good governance and improved core local services through professional development, advocacy and other services for all types of independent special districts.
Since 1969, CSDA has been offering its members cost-efficient programs and representation at the State Capitol and boasts a membership of over 1,300 organizations throughout California. We are the only statewide association representing all types of independent special districts, including irrigation, water, park and recreation, cemetery, fire, police protection, library, utility, harbor, healthcare and community services districts.
CSDA provides education and training, insurance programs, legal advice, industry-wide litigation and public relations support, legislative advocacy, capital improvement and equipment funding, collateral design services and, most importantly, current information that is crucial to a special district’s management and operational effectiveness.