Gavin Newsom – with the help of the San Francisco business community – made amends to Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, a recent victim of theft in San Francisco, with one heck of a gift package.
The package included a two-night stay at the Fairmont Hotel, a baseball signed by Giants’ pitcher Tim Lincecum, 49ers tickets, a dinner cruise and numerous other San Francisco treats of great value, according to a Wednesday press release. (See the full list here)
“We want to encourage Mayor Johnson to come back and visit San Francisco soon, so we’re extending the warm hand of hospitality,” Newsom said in a release. “When San Francisco’s business community heard about Mayor Johnson’s misfortune, they stepped up to the plate and donated gifts as an invitation to return to our city.”
Johnson wrote in his blog earlier this week that he was robbed on the streets of San Francisco over the weekend. Johnson’s garment bag was recovered from a San Francisco resident and was delivered to Johnson’s office on Wednesday morning.
The mayor said he was a victim while doing a good deed, helping an elderly gentleman. He wrote about the incident in his blog:
“… It happened, on a beautiful evening this past weekend near Union Square. As crimes go, it could have been much worse. I was helping an elderly man when somebody sneaked up behind me and stole my garment bag. I lost a nice suit, a nice pair of shoes and overnight toiletries. Not the end of the world, but frustrating.”
He said in his blog that the real crime was feeling vulnerable.
“Next time I see San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, I’ll tell him the story and give him my word nothing like that will happen to him in Sacramento,” Johnson wrote in his blog.
- San Francisco 49ers tickets
- Six pack of Anchor Steam beer
- Dinner at the Balboa Cafe
- Tickets to Beach Blanket Babylon
- Sourdough bread from Boudin
- Bottle of Cade wine
- Coffee from Caffe Trieste
- Golden Gate Bridge: History and Design of an Icon (book)
- City Lights Pocket Poets Anthology
- Two-night stay at the Fairmont Hotel
- Ghirardelli chocolate
- Baseball autographed by Tim Lincecum
- Precita Eyes Muralists: Street Art San Francisco (book)
- Organic agave nectar and all-natural margarita mix from Tres Agaves
- A necktie from Wilkes Bashford
- Tickets to the Wax Museum at Fisherman’s Wharf
- Dinner Cruise aboard Hornblower Yacht from the Convention and Visitors Bureau
James Spencer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org