Baldwin Park Chief Executive Officer (City Manager) Shannon Yauchzee, who led the city for almost 7 years, has announced his retirement, effective December 31, 2020.
“The time has come for me to step into the next chapter of my life,” Yauchzee stated. “I am, and always will be, proud of what the City Council and staff have achived for the City of Baldwin Parks and its residents. The experiences I have. had here and the people that I have met have been memorable. I am honored to serve the City of Baldwin Park and its business owners and residents.”
Through the years leading the City administration, Yauchzee directed the implementation of many of t he City council’s accomplishments, including the:
- Initial rail safety improvements and implementation of quiet zones;
- Issuance of pension bonds to save the City over $22 million over 25 years;
- Investment of over $50 million in infrastructure improvements in the City, including new bus shelters, park improvements, downtown beautification, and street paving, new trolley shuttles, and several complete streets projects;
- Improvement of the already award-winning community service and recreation program with. the Street Fair addition and;
- The growth of the General Fund reserve from $5 million to over $9 million
During his time, Mr. Yauchzee served as the Chair of the San Gabriel Valley Council of Government Public Works Technical Advisory Committee and currently serves on the City Managers Technical Advisory Committee. He also serves as the President (2020-2021) of the San Gabriel Valley City Managers Association and League of California Cities Area representative. Mr. Yauchzee was also an instrumental partner and leader in winning a number of city awards for green fleets, energy efficiency, environmental stewardship, and most business friendly cities. In his spare time he served as a volunteer high performance driving instructor for the BMW Car Club of America and the BMW/Tire Rack/Michelin safe Teenager Driving Clinics for at least two decades.
Yauchzee obtained his Bachelors of science degree in Civil Engineering from Cal Poly Pomona, and is a Registered Civil Engineer in California and Arizona. Before the City of Baldwin Park, Yauchzee spent 7 years with the Willdan Associates and then 18 years with the City of West Covina serving as Building Official and Public Works Director.
Yauchzee will stay on with Baldwin Park in an interim role into 2021 as the City searches for a replacement. After the transition he and his wife Lias will spend more time and their eighteen-acre ranch home in Central Arizona, traveling back and forth to visit friends and family and touring the Western United States.